· March 8th & 15th: Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences
· March 8th & 15th: Barnhart Bake Sale
· March 9th: Second Grade Music Program 6:15-6:45
· March 17th: No School Teacher Work Day
· March 20th-31st: Spring Break
SPRING PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES
Your child’s parent-teacher conference confirmation note will be sent home Monday inside your child’s homework folder. If you have not signed up for a conference, a time will be given to you. Should you have a conflict, I am happy to reschedule your conference.
BARHART BAKE SALE
Our class is working together with Mrs. Hawk and Ms. Lautenbach’s 5th grade classes to help support the Barnhart family after their house burned down. Fifth grade has organized a bake sale, which will be held on both nights of parent-teacher conferences. Students may help either by bringing in baked goods to sell or by working a 45 minutes shift with a 5th grade book buddy. We are book buddies with Ms. Lautenbach’s class. Since students will need to be dropped off and picked up at the end of their shift, students need permission to participate. The permission slip was sent home on Friday with your child. I have attached a link to a google form for students to sign up to help sell or to bring in baked goods. All items need to be wrapped individually.
SECOND GRADE MUSIC PROGRAM
Second graders are excited for our Music Program Thursday evening March 9th. Students are to arrive at school only 15 minutes prior to the performance and asked to come dressed in a solid color shirt in one of the colors of the Olympic Rings: red, black, yellow, blue or green. They have worked for several weeks to learn their songs and dance. They and can hardly wait to share their performance with their family!
Students have spent the last few weeks reading about Famous American’s and their important contributions. After reading several biographies and taking notes about each person, students returned to their notes to select one person to research. We have spent last week reading about our Famous American using both books and websites to gather information. Next week, we will take our research and design a slide show project on Adobe Spark. Our projects will be shared through Seesaw and displayed in the hallway with a QR Code to allow access to the entire second grade. Most students have found a considerable amount of information at school, however if your child is interested in adding to their research, I have attached additional websites below.
Our Narrative Writing Unit is coming to a close this week as students complete their final draft of their favorite small moment story. Our books will be bound on Monday and shared during parent-teacher conferences. The following bullets are topic/mini lessons that were covered during this unit.
· Discovering small moments that matter-generating ideas
· Brainstorming a list of important small moments
· Stretching out small moments-learning to plan a story over several pages
· Writing a good beginning, middle and end
· Writing with detail: Magnifying a small moment
· Bringing characters to life using dialogue, feelings, or actions
· Setting goals and making plans for writing time
· Using a checklist to self-assess and plan for next parts
· Close Reading: Looking closely at how mentor authors write and apply to their work
· Using a partner to help make story better (revise by listening)
· Word choice
· Revising and editing a rough draft